Saturday, June 23, 2012

Hand-Painted Baby Girl Nursery Letters - "Riley"

As I've mentioned, I was hired by a friend to hand-paint nursery letters for her sister's baby shower gift.  I immediately agreed to do the job knowing I would love a project to do.  And for someone that I've known practically my whole life.  Then I found out the nursery theme was pink Real Tree camouflage.  I really wasn't sure how I was going to pull that one off.  But she gave me no guidelines and said she trusted my judgement, so I got in my creative mode and went from there.   Bought some letters, bought a pink Real Tree hat to give me some colors to work with (they live out of state so I had nothing tangible to match my paint to), bought some paint, and began to think about a design.  I wanted to incorporate the camouflage some to match the theme, but I also wanted to avoid them being too busy with all the camouflage bedding.  And I still wanted them to have a girly look of coarse.  So I sketched out my plans and went for it.  I spent many many hours painting them.  Trying to get those lines perfectly straight...taping does not work for this by the way.  And trying to make those trees look real.  I mod podged some hole-punched scrapbook paper dots to edge the bottom lines and some thin brown ribbon to edge the top lines.  I thought that added a nice touch and made them look complete.  Until now, I've had to keep these hush-hush since they were a gift, but they were given to her yesterday so I'm excited to reveal them!
















And as weird as it may sound, it was kind of sad parting from these letters.  It's the first piece of art work that I haven't kept for myself.  And when you spend so much time and put so much effort into something, it's kind of sad to hand it over to someone else.  But it's a good thing.  It was flattering to be asked.  I'm glad I had the opportunity to paint these for them.

Don't forget to vote for my blog everyday on Top Mommy Blogs!  Pretty Please.

All you have to do is click HERE!




No comments:

Post a Comment