Monday, February 13, 2012

Photography. and the fact that I want to be better at it.

Okay, so I'm slightly obsessed with pictures...in case you haven't noticed already.  I love everything to do with pictures...taking pictures, having professional sessions done of our family, printing pictures, decorating my home with pictures (even though I desperately need to work on updating them), scrapbooking, making photobooks, giving photos as gifts, doing this photo on canvas project, and I even love looking at random photographer websites/blogs to appreciate their talent.  So you get the point.


There's just one thing.  I really want to work on my own photography skills.  I am a perfectionist so taking "just okay" pictures is not okay with me.  I want them to look perfect...the coloring, the clarity, the composition, everything. I have absolutely no interest in ever doing photography for a living.  I just simply want to take good photos of my children.  Actually, I want to take excellent photos of my children.  I absolutely love capturing memories of them.  They grow up right before our eyes, so capturing those priceless moments is very important to me. 








Over the past couple of years, I have began to realize how passionate I really am about photography.  I have always loved pictures, but until recently I never had the desire to do better with taking them myself. I now want to change that.  I want to try to improve my skills.  I think photography is an art, and its something that I want to be good at.

I actually did take a digital photography class in college a few years ago, but to be honest I did not pay enough attention...something I strongly regret.  I was so focused on excelling in every class that I did what I had to do to get an A and really didn't learn anything (it didn't help that the professor was B.O.R.I.N.G.).  For that class though, my dad bought a Canon Rebel xTi for me to use.  Here recently, I have really tried to start using the camera again.  And I've tried getting out of Automatic, which is scary for me because I don't want to miss those moments by having it on any incorrect settings, but I also know that to get beautiful photos I need to step out of my comfort zone a little and play around with my camera.  Alot of what I've tried researching about the ISO and aperature etc is all a bit over my head.  I seem to understand what it all is until I have the camera in my hand, then it's all a blur and the information I had stored in my little brain gets mixed up.  This little cheat sheet that I found on Pinterest is very helpful...and would be even more helpful if my printer would stop being moody and print it for me...



Anyways, I would love to have the time and the money in the future...the near future...to take a photography class, but right now it's just not feasible.  So, to any of my readers who know a thing or two about photography, do you have any tips or suggestions for me?  What are some basic steps I can take to improve my photography skills?  Any advice would be helpful!

2 comments:

  1. If you need any help your more than welcome to continue learning with me :) here are a few sites for you: photographytalk.com, prettypresets.com, pinterest. These three can get you started. I have a ton more to share and lots of facebook pages to show. Www.facebook.com/ksimagery is mine and Seans photography page. I love photography and been a passion for a looong time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krystle! Ill definitely have to check those out. Its hard (and time-consuming) to weed out the bad photography websites out there to be able to learn from the good ones. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete